Ancient Egyptian Temples
There are many temples that are found in Egypt and many of them were built to give the gods a place to live.
Temple of Seti I
One temple was built for the pharaoh called Pharaoh Seti I. This temple was built in 1280 B.C. The Temple of Seti I was located in the city of Abydos.
This temple was interesting because it was an L shape and it was made to hold six different Egyptian gods including Iris, Amun, Ptah, Osiris, Horus and Ra-Horakhty.
Inside of the Temple of Seti I is a shrine for Pharaoh Seti I.
Temple of Hatshepsut
The Temple of Hatshepsut was built around 1470 and it is famous because it was built by a female pharaoh. Pharaoh Hatshepsut was considered to be part of the god Amun-Ra or the sun god. She was one of the first female pharaoh’s in Egypt.
The Temple of Hatshepsut is located near the Valley of the Kings.
Temple of Kom-Ombo
One of the temples that is located far south is the Temple of Kom-Ombo. This was built between 180 B.C. and 47 B.C. This temple was given to the god Sobek who was called the crocodile god. Later, the northern part of the temple was given to Horus, the falcon god.
The Temple of Kom-Ombo was built during the Ptolemaic Dynasty.
The Luxor Temple is built on the bank of the Nile River. This temple was built for Amun, an Egyptian god and his wife and son. The temple was built in 1400 B.C.
The Luxor Temple is a place where the Opet festival takes place each year and the statue of Amun is paraded around the area.
The Luxor Temple has statues of Pharaoh Ramessess II.
Temple of Edfu
The Temple of Edfu is another popular temple in Egypt. This is found on the edge of the Nile River and is located in the city called Edfu.
The Temple of Edfu was made during the Ptolemaic Dynasty and was built between the years 237 B.C. and 57 B.C. This temple was made for Horus, the falcon god.
Temple of Abu Simbel
The Temple of Abu Simbel is found in southern Egypt. It was built by Pharaoh Ramesses II to show off himself and his wife, Queen Nefertiti.
The Temple of Abu Simbel was built around 1264 B.C. but was moved in 1968 because the area was being flooded.
There are now two temples located in Abu Simbel and they were made out of rock that was caved. Two of the temples are famous because they have statues of Pharaoh Ramses II that stand at the entrance of the tomb. The statues are very tall, almost as tall as the whole temple.
Temple of Philae
This famous Egyptian temple was built on an island that sits on the Nile River. There were many temples that were built on the island from different pharaohs that ruled Egypt. Over time though, other cultures begin building temples as well including the Greeks and Romans.
The Temple of Philae was given to Isis, one of the Egyptian goddesses.
More Facts About Ancient Egyptian Temples:
- The largest temple in Ancient Egypt was the Temple of Karnak.
- The Temple of Karnak was visited the most by the Egyptians.
- Pharaoh Senusret I built the Temple of Karnak.
- It took over 30 different pharaohs before the Temple of Karnak was completed.
- The Temple of Karnak is found in Luxor.
- Some of the temples had large columns that were tall and made of stone.
- Some parts of the temples are found in museums over all the world.
- The temples were important to the pharaohs and the priests.
What Did You Learn?
- What were most of the temples in Ancient Egypt built for? Most of the temples in Ancient Egypt were built for the gods.
- What temple that was built has a festival each year? The Luxor Temple has a festival each year.
- Which temple is the biggest temple in Ancient Egypt? The Luxor Temple is the biggest temple in Egypt.
- What temple was made for the crocodile god? The Temple of Kom-Ombo was built for the crocodile god.
- What temple was moved because the area was flooded? The Temple of Abu Simbel was moved because the area was flooding and they did not want the temple to be ruined